Friday, May 27, 2011

Thank you Oprah.

As Oprah concludes her amazing television tenure, I thank her for letting us experience her weight struggles. Her vulnerability documents society's view of large people plus the struggle in a world with the thin ideal. An Oprah weight struggle montage concludes with this message from Oprah:


"I know the battle has not ended."


This reminds me of phrases we hear often:
Battle of the Bulge. 
War on Obesity. 
Fighting Fat.


I hope in her transition, Oprah decides to put down the big guns and stop keeping score. I hope she changes from a battle cry to messages of self compassion and acceptance. A kind truce instead of another fighting diet. It is only in stepping away from the battle that she will find peace.

0 comments:

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr